Thursday, October 9, 2008

Taking Stock


Well, I survived. Every time I go into Yom Kippur, I'm not quite sure if God will actually grant me another year. I still don't know for sure, but at least He didn't knock me off the planet today. My fast was pretty easy and the service was actually inspriational--as much as all day in synagogue can be. There's a jumble of emotions throughout the services, including a few non-verbal moments when I don't know if I'm connecting with God, or just thinking I'm connecting with God...but it's intense and even tearful.

I've done the break-fast dishes and it's late, but I was shocked, downright shocked to see that the stock market took a further tumble, down 679 points today. Most in the last 90 minutes of trading. That brings the market down 2,251 points in a week, a drop of nearly 21%, almost as bad as "Black Monday" in 1987 when the Dow sank 22%.

This is dizzying as far as our savings. However, we had a lovely meal this evening with some good friends. We are alive and so far still have jobs and school. But the financial news is scary and I'm afraid won't help our side in the election, just three weeks away. Actually, it helps neither side--I think the nation is stunned and we'll just hold onto our seats as this roller coaster swishes us into the breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment